Prom night, probably the most important event for teenagers, is just around the corner. Prom night is once in a lifetime chance to make memories of your entire high school career.
Now that you have asked your crush out, comes the next challenge- finding the perfect outfit for the night! Selecting the perfect prom outfit ideas for men with so many new styles and options might appear confusing or even intimidating.
Don’t worry, we have your back! Read on to know how to dress for the prom night in a way that stands out from everyone else.
What are the Best Prom Outfits for Men?
Unless the prom has a strict dress code, you could select one from the following three options:
1. Prom Suits
Create a modern and smart look and are usually available in 2-piece or 3-piece (with a waistcoat) options. You have endless options- from classic black prom suits to textured ones, from color-coordinated to contrasting suits, and many more.
Flaunt an old-world charm with the trademark appearance of a satin tuxedo, paired with a bow tie and wing-collared shirt. Complete the look with silver cufflinks and brown shoes.
Typically available in bolder color options, blazers can transfer your everyday shirt and denim combo into a prom outfit.
How Your Prom Outfit Should Fit?
Prom outfits for men should be comfortable, fit well, and match your body type to look good. Here are a few options you could consider:
1. Slim Fit
- Most preferred by guys with slim, slight, or medium build.
- This design has a narrow fit around the chest, waist, shoulders, and sleeves.
- Consist of tapered legs in the trouser to create a sharp look.
2. Skinny Fit
- It helps create an ultra-modern and sleek look.
- Works well with a slight and slim build.
- Features narrow shoulders, legs, and shorter jackets.
3. Tailored Fit
- The jacket design is tapered at the waist.
- Tapered trousers give a polished look.
- Ideal for guys with a slight, slim, and larger build.
Which Color Do You Want?
Do you want to play it safe with traditional colors, or do you want to experiment with bolder hues? Here are your options and how they reflect your personality:
- Black: The timeless black tuxedo has an unbeatable charm and sophistication that fits any ambiance.
- Grey: Grey suits can be a smart choice when you accessorize them with vibrant colors. From colorful ties or pocket squares to navy chinos, grey suits are another sure-shot winner.
- Blue: Navy blue blazers or jackets help create a suave, classic, no-nonsense style.
- Other Colors: Be the talk of the prom by opting for unconventional, bold-colored suits. Rather than going for louder hues, consider non-traditional, vintage colors that blend modern and traditional charm.
How To Select the Right Shirt?
Once you have finalized your suit, it’s time to choose a shirt that goes with your suit. Your shirt’s fitting should match the fit of your prom outfit.
When it comes to the style of your shirt, you have the following two options:
1. Formal Shirt
A formal shirt is usually the safest bet, whether you pair it with a blazer or a prom suit. While a sharp, smooth white shirt looks edgy and classic, you can consider patterned, formal shirts as well for a bold appeal.
2. Casual Shirt
If you want your appearance to be a little less formal, you can go for casual shirts. There are several options for a streamlined look, from blue denim shirts to button-down collars to crisp white casual shirts.
How To Accessorize Prom Outfits for Men?
Now that we have covered the basics, it’s time to select the perfect accessories for your prom outfit:
1. Bow Ties & Ties
Bow ties are a must for a tuxedo. If you want convenience, you can get the pre-tied version that is easy to slip on and off. While classic black is a favorite for everyone, go for bold red or blue accents if you feel like experimenting.
For 2-piece and 3-piece prom suits, you will need a regular tie and a tie bar to keep them in place. You can pick a color that complements either your suit or your date’s outfit. 2.
2. Pocket Square
A bright, patterned pocket square can accentuate your outfit significantly. From printed designs to bolder ones in red, blue, or white color, pocket squares are a classy upgrade to prom outfits for men.
Add flair to your prom outfit with sparkling silver cufflinks.
Don’t be the person with that boring pair of socks. After all, bold socks add contrast to your suit. For a balanced ensemble, match the color of your socks with that of your pocket square and tie.
Ideally, you should match your belt with your shoe color. However, brown or black leather belts are evergreen options.
The last but definitely not the least part of your outfit is your shoes. Make sure to pick a shoe that goes with the outfit and makes the right statement. For tuxedos and suits, classic black or brown dress shoes do the trick.
On the other hand, for a less formal look, you can experiment with colors and styles – from boots with the blazer-trouser ensemble to sockless, slip-on loafers to distinctive brogues.
Also Read: Men’s Prom Shoes for an Unforgettable Night
Although your tux pants have adjusters for the waist and you can use belts for trousers, suspenders can be a fun accessory for the party vibe.
How to Get the Complete Look?
Here is your guide on how to get that timeless look on your big day:
1. Classic Blue Prom Suit Outfit
- Suit: Blue or Navy Blue
- Dress Shirt: White
- Tie: Red
- Pocket Square: White
- Shoes: Brown leather shoes
2. Formal Prom Suit Outfit
- Suit: Black or Dark Grey
- Dress Shirt: White Cotton Shirt
- Tie or Bow Tie: Black Pin-dot tie or Tartan Bow Tie
- Pocket Square: White Linen shoestring
- Shoes: Wooden sole black leather shoes
3. Classic Prom Tuxedo Outfit
- Suit: Black
- Dress Shirt: White
- Bow Tie: Black Polka Dot
- Cufflink: Silver-dotted
- Shoes: Black cap-toe Toe Shoes
4. Modern Prom Suit Outfit
- Suit: Patterned or chequered Grey
- Dress Shirt: White Cotton Shirt
- Tie or Bow Tie: Red Velvet Bow Tie
- Pocket Square: Polka Dot Ruby
- Cufflinks: Vinyl record
- Shoes: Black Leather Shoes
5. Modern Prom Tux Outfit
- Suit: Burgundy/Marigold/Rose/Emerald dinner jacket with black tuxedo pants
- Dress Shirt: White fly-front Shirt
- Bow Tie: Ivory Pin-dot
- Pocket Square: Pattern or printed
- Cufflinks: Golden textured
- Shoes: Black Loafers
This article discusses and guides you in selecting the best outfit for your prom night – from selecting the type of outfit to accessorizing it, from choosing the right color to experimenting with the different looks.
Hopefully, by taking notes from these points, you will manage the perfect ensemble for your prom night with a look that impresses everyone for an unforgettable night.